Angioplasty is one of the most important surgical procedures of heart. Angioplasty is mainly used to treat a type of heart disease known as Atherosclerosis. Generally Cardiologist performs Angioplasty immediately after the heart attack. It is also known as Balloon Angioplasty or Percutaneous Transluminal Angioplasty. It is a minimally invasive endovascular procedure used to open narrowed or blocked arteries or veins.
In this procedure, a tiny balloon is inserted and inflated temporally to widen clogged artery. It is often performed with the permanent placement of a small wire mesh tube known as a Stent which is helpful in opening blocked artery and decreases its chance of narrowing again in future.
It saves valuable life of a heart attack patient, if it is performed within the first hours after a heart attack. It reduces the risk of further complications like heart failure, other serious heart complication and even a death. In every heart disease timely treatment is very crucial. Dr. Jadhav’s Heart Care has all advanced medical facilities to provide any emergency treatment to heart patient.
Benefits of Angioplasty:
- It saves valuable life and reduces heart muscle damage during a heart attack by restoring blood flow to the heart
- It immediately relieves or reduces symptoms of heart disease such as chest pain, shortness of breath and fatigue so that patient can feel much better.
- It reduces the risk of stroke.
- No major complications or risk.
- Patient can start normal activities very shortly after the procedure.
Why Angioplasty is performed?
- It is mainly used to cure It is a type of heart disease.
- Atherosclerosis is the slow buildup of fatty plaques in heart’s blood vessels.
- Cardiologist suggests Angioplasty when medications or lifestyle changes aren’t enough to improve heart health.
- It is essential when patient has a heart attack, worsening chest pain (angina) or other symptoms.
- Angioplasty is mainly performed by an expert Cardiologist only in a special operating room called a cardiac catheterization laboratory.
- Doctor performs Angioplasty under the local anesthesia. First of all, Cardiologist makes an incision in patient’s arm or groin.
- Then doctor inserts a catheter with a tiny inflatable balloon on the end into the artery. Cardiologist inserts the catheter up into the blocked coronary artery by using X-ray, video and special dyes.
- Once it’s in position the balloon is inflated to widen the artery. Then the fatty deposits or plaque gets pushed with a force against the wall of the artery. In this way, doctor clears the way for blood flow.
- In some cases, the catheter is also inserted along with a stainless steel mesh known as a Stent. It is used to hold the clogged blood vessel open.
- The stent is usually inserted in the artery after it is widened by the inflated balloon. The procedure takes half an hour to several hours.
Doctor continuously monitors patient’s health after this procedure. Doctor also suggests healthy diet and exercise to reduce cholesterol level and blood pressure. Healthy lifestyle can reduce the risk of other heart problems after Angioplasty. Dr Jadhav’s Heart Care is well equipped with the latest medical technology for performing Angioplasty.