A Holter Monitor is a small, wearable device which keeps track of heart rhythm and heart rate for 24 to 48 hours. This device records all heartbeats. Cardiologist performs Holter Monitoring test if Electrocardiography (ECG or EKG) test does not provide enough information about heart’s activities. Holter Monitoring is one of the most important test which helps doctor to diagnose heart’s condition. Dr Jadhav’s Heart Care has advanced Holter Monitoring test facilities.
Holter Monitor is a battery operated portable device and patient has to wear this device while performing routine activities. This test is also known as Ambulatory Electrocardiography. Doctor uses the captured information on the Holter monitor to detect heart rhythm problem. If standard Holter Monitoring doesn’t capture irregular heartbeat, then doctor suggests a wireless Holter Monitor which can work for weeks.
Benefits of Holter Monitor
- Holter Monitoring is painless and noninvasive heart test. It does not need local anesthetic.
- It not only measures heart’s rate and rhythm but also records chest pain, symptoms of an irregular heartbeat or arrhythmia.
- Holter Monitoring helps doctor to monitor heart functions on a long term basis.
- Doctor can determine whether heart is getting sufficient oxygen or not with the help of Holter Monitoring.
- This device does not affect daily activities as it is easily portable device.
- If patient is already treated for heart problems before then after wearing Holter Monitoring device is very helpful for doctor to determine effectiveness or results of medication.
Holter Monitoring Procedure
- The Holter Monitor is a small device with several wires and electrodes. These electrodes are placed on the skin of chest along with glue like gel.
- The electrodes conduct heart’s activity through the wires and sends to the Holter Monitor for recording.
- Patient wears pouch around neck for holding Holter Monitor. It is important to keep the monitor close to body during the testing period for accurate readings.
- Patient should avoid bathing and swimming after wearing Holter Monitor. Device should be kept dry for accurate readings.
- Patient has to do normal activities during 24 hrs Holter Monitoring test and also has to record activities in a diary. This helps doctor to determine heart activity as per the behavior and movements.
- Holter Monitoring test has no risk and it is completely painless.
After the Holter Monitoring test period is over, patient has to return device and diary at doctor’s clinic. Doctor compares the data from the recorder and the activities as well as symptoms written. After the analysis of data, doctor discuss about the results. This recordings or data show exact heart condition of a patient.